In this blog, we will be discussing two free methods to convert Exchange OST to PST files. So without any further a due let’s get straight into the blog.
Microsoft Outlook saves all the Exchange mailbox data on a local network in OST file format when it is used in Offline mode. The alterations made in the offline mode are subsequently updated when the Exchange servers come online. The OST file stored on a local system remains unaffected by the Exchange server crash, data deletions, corruption, etc. Later on, the OST files can be used to restore the mailbox data in case of any mishappening.
Reasons when Conversion of Exchange OST to PST comes handy
- When we restore the deleted mailbox from the server.
- For creating the back up a few Exchange mailboxes.
- To rebuild the OST files when data is still unsaved in the OST files.
- EDB files are inaccessible due to Exchange corruption, Server crash, etc. and users want their emails urgently.
There are numerous ways to convert OST files to PST and below we have discussed the easiest and convenient solutions.
Solution 1. The Export mailbox as a PST file
Log in to the Exchange account which is used to generate the OST files and export the OST mailbox to PST.
- Navigate to Files and click in the “Open & Export and click Import & Export.”
- Pick “Export to a file” and click Next.
- Click the second option i.e. “Outlook Data File (.pst)” and Next.
- Select the file/folder you want to export and Next.
- Provide the location where you want to store the newly generated PST file and select “Do not export duplicate items.”
Note: You can secure your file by providing a password to it.
Solution 2 Utilize ‘AutoArchiving’ to save OST emails to PST
Once “AutoArchiving” is enabled, Outlook saves OST files mailbox data in a separate PST file. Additionally, it keeps the size of the mailbox of ideal size. Doing so reduces the chances of corruption.
- Launch the Outlook application and move to “File”, and then click on “Options.”
- Now go to the “Advanced” option and click “Auto Archive Settings.”
- After that provide the number of days in which you want to perform auto-archiving. Once that’s has done select the folder where you want to save the archived file and lastly click Ok.
Convert OST to PST without any need for Exchange profile or server connectivity via this amazing professional OST to PST Converter Tool.
Solution 3 Use OST to PST Converter
Using this tool you can even convert the corrupted or damaged OST files. Also, it’s user-friendly interface makes the user experience more delightful.
Moreover, it can easily convert multiple OST files to PST at once. Let’s have an eye on the workability of this tool:
Step 1. Download the tool from the above link and install it. Open the application and select the version of the MS Outlook you are using.
Step 2. Now tap on “Open” and select the OST file.
Note: If you are not aware of the whereabouts of the OST file, then you can use “Auto Search”.
Step 3. Select the conversion mode according to the level of corruption.
Step 4. Once the scanning process ends window will poop us as “Scanning process completed for selected OST file, click on the folder to see converted email items.”
Step 5. A detailed preview of your OST files mailbox would be displayed. Now select the files which you want to convert in PST and tap “Save”.
Step 6. Now provide a location where you want to store the converted PST files.
Step 7. Select the PST file format. If you want to sort the data via Data Range then click on the checkbox “Select Data Range” and Ok.
Step 8. After the saving process ends a new message will pop up as “Saving process completed”.
Saving data in OST format is beneficial but sometimes the user needs to move to PST as they are more convenient. So use any of the above steps to migrate from Exchange OST to PST, but as an IT expert, I would personally suggest you use a professional tool as they are reliable and safe.